Amazing Race Recap-Episode 9
If last week's episode was all about the frenzy of India, tonight's episode was all about the hubris of Rob. Rob's decision to try to mess with Gretchen's mind was the only thing that spurred the Dandy Dons and Uchenna & Joyce to search for a better flight from Jodhpur to Istanbul. And, that's what gave those two teams a two-hour lead on Rob & Amber and Ron & Kelly. But what the hell? Uchenna & Joyce have won the last two legs but they didn't get an extra prize on either of them. That's not fair!
The editors sure had a lot of fun tonight with Rob. But, every time he crowed about how much smarter he was than Uchenna & Joyce or the Dandy Dons, he gave them so much to work with. Rob has a lot going for him, but he lacks humility. I think that when you don't see teams for an entire leg, it should cross your mind that they might be ahead of you. It takes a cocky, cocky man to assume he's in the lead.
While the lead teams' earlier flight was a secret for most of the leg, the fact that tonight was a non-elimination episode wasn't. Well, not to long time viewers at least. You had to expect that tonight was non-elimination, next week we'll get rid of one team and then we're down to three for the final episode. But, even though I knew it was coming, I was still disappointed that the one time Ron & Kelly finished last, they'd get to stay in the game. Could Kelly have been more distasteful tonight? How dare she claim that Ron "got out" of his military commitment by being a POW. Ron needs to escape her.
Other than the non-elimination element, I really enjoyed this leg. My personal highlights:
- The beautiful airport facade in Jodhpur. The teams can bitch all they want about India, but there's got to be something good about a country where they care enough to make something as boring as an airport beautiful
- Istanbul. Istanbul. Istanbul. The city has been number one on my list of dream foreign destinations for a long time now and tonight did nothing to change that. It's so full of history and so beautiful. I hope that at some point in next week's episode they have to visit a Turkish bazaar.
- I appreciated Ron getting in the obligatory "Istanbul not Constantinople" joke.
- Gretchen continued her tradition of dirty double speak by yelling that she needed a "big man!"
- Mmmm...Phil. Phil was looking super hot in his funky brown suede jacket. That man can look wicked good when he wants to
- Airport drama was back. Working the airports has been an ignored skill so far this season, but tonight it was the crucial factor that propelled Uchenna & Joyce into first place
- Even though the Dandy Dons had a great leg, for them, they managed to keep me entertained with their continuing ineptitude. They can't find a clue, both literally and figurtively. It cracks me up how the show cues up the oompha music to punctuate their follies.
Note that I'm pretending the whole embarassing Travelocity gnome thing didn't even happen. This show doesn't need to stoop to that kind of silly product placement. Next thing you know they'll have Pringles-sponsored roadblocks.
Next week, I think we'll say a fond farewell to the Dandy Dons. Sooner or later, their luck has got to run out, right? RIGHT??
Be sure to check out Viking Pundit's excellent recap.
Posted by at April 26, 2005 09:21 PM
The trackback entry for this page is : http://www.inthehat.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/858
|# April 26th, 2005 10:26 PM samdham|
|Don't forget Gretchen's moans and groans when she mounted the ladder. Mmmmmm, ooooooo, oooohhhhhh,... |
|# April 27th, 2005 1:36 AM james|
|who knows, maybe they tried to sell sponsorship of the column detour to pringles.
since they're so desperate to shave people's heads on this show, that should be an additional requirement of being non-eliminated
|# April 27th, 2005 10:43 AM james|
|you know, i thought that rob was funny and clever at the beginning of the show, but now i just think he's obnoxious. if i have to hear him talk about how much smarter he is than everyone else one more time.... i was really hoping that the prick would get eliminated last time.
uchenna and joyce continue to be my favs.