Spinning Away on Green Day & The VMAs
GREEN DAY, the anti-war punk rockers, swept the MTV Video Music Awards in a sign that American popular culture is turning against US presence in Iraq.
One, I had no idea that you could use the VMAs were such a powerful sign of which way the pop cultural winds are going to blow. If that's the case, I better start wearing a bra & panties or a swimsuit to work. What am I thinking?
Two, turning against? Since when were spoiled pop stars for the war in Iraq?
Truth be told, I watched all of the VMAs and even Green Day barely mentioned the War in Iraq and not a single other presenter or winner said anything political. As much as the UK press wants to spin this as some anti-war, anti-Bush fest, it wasn't. The VMAs were all about T&A. That's it.
Posted by at August 29, 2005 07:16 PM
The trackback entry for this page is : http://www.inthehat.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1051
|Michelle Malkin linked with THE MTV AWARDS: NOT ANTI-WAR, JUST FREAKY|
|# August 29th, 2005 10:55 PM no2lefties|
|Green Day sucks.
Thier music up to "Nimrod" was good, but since then it's turned to crap.
The only reason they get the attention they do is because their last album was all about bashing Bush.
P.S. since when was the "popular culture" ever in favor of the War in Iraq anyway? Just a bunch of wishful thinking by the Times Online.
|# August 30th, 2005 9:24 AM BrianH|
|I like Green Day's music (even the American Idiot stuff). I'm definately NOT turning against the Iraq war. When will these people understand that the music people like isn't always an indication of their political leanings?
In fact I think we're getting pretty close to "done" with our part in Iraq unless the libs muck it up.
1. Remove Saddam - done VERY quickly
2. Capture or kill Saddam and his regime - Done.
3. Turn control of Iraq's civil services back over to Iraq - Done last year.
4. Train Iraqis to provide police and civil defense - in progress, improving
5. Get Iraq to pass a constitution that THEY can live with - Constitution complete
6. Turn all police and defense responsiblities over to Iraqi forces - This is the slow part. It's a gradual process and is dependent on items 4 & 5.
7. Rebuild Iraq's infrastructure. This process is taking longer than expected due to the terrorists and the poor condition of the existing infrastructure.
Our biggest problem with Iraq is the "American Idiots" who consider the murdering bombers to be "freedom fighters".
|# September 4th, 2005 12:25 PM mbrlr|
|They sure weren't my objectives. Anyone remember Osama bin Laden? |