Top 25 Love Songs
EW.com has a nice list of their top 25 love songs (caveat: the list is in gallery form, so you've gotta click through 25 pages to see it). While it has some songs I wholeheartedly agree with (At Last, All I Want Is You) there are a few "huh"s on the list too (Beyonce's Crazy In Love? Sweet Child O Mine?). Because I too love writing lists, here are my Top 25 Love Songs (as found on my iPod):
1. All I Want Is You - U2 - the only good thing about the movie Reality Bites. Best lines:
You say you'll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
2. Always On My Mind - Willie Nelson - it's great because it's way more sincere than all of the other somebody done somebody wrong songs. Best lines:
If I made you feel second best
Girl I'm sorry I was blind
You were always on my mind
You were always on my mind
3. Beginnings - Chicago Transit Authority - once upon a time Chicago was awesome and wrote beautiful songs like this and "Colour My World". Best lines:
When I kiss you, I feel a thousand different feelings.
The color of chills all over my body.
4. Come Around - Rhett Miller - Rhett's gorgeous heartbreaking falsetto sells this song. Best lines:
I'm gonna be lonely for the rest of my life
Unless you come around so come around
5. Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band - I think all women love this song. It's like the opposite of Pink Floyd. Best lines:
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock
and sweet you roll
Lost for you I'm so lost for you
6. Deeper Than The Holler - Randy Travis - Aw, what a sweet country boy. Best lines:
Well I've heard those city singers singin 'bout how they can love
Deeper than the oceans higher than the stars above
Well I come from the country and I know I ain't seen it all
But I heard that oceans salty and the stars they sometimes fall
But that would not do justice to the way I feel for you
So I have to sing this song about all the things I knew
7. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police - this song has something that very few great love songs do - a sense of humor. Best lines:
I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day
And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way
But my silent fears have gripped me
Long before I reach the phone
Long before my tongue has tripped me
Must I always be alone?
8. Flesh And Blood - Johnny Cash - I really "get" this song more after seeing "Walk The Line". It wasn't just that Johnny Cash loved and desired June, he needed her. Best lines:
Mother Nature's quite a Lady
But you're the one I need
9. Harvest Moon - Neil Young - songs about enduring love are really way more romantic than songs about new love. Best lines:
When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.
10. Hey, Good Lookin' - Hank Williams - simple, classic and perfect. Best lines:
Hey, hey, good lookin',
Whatcha got cookin'?
Seriously? Aren't those the best lyrics ever?
11. I Saw The Light - Todd Rundgren - I think I'd be kicked out of my family if I didn't include this song. Best lines:
So we walked along,
though I knew there was something wrong
And the feeling hit me oh so strong about you
Then you gazed up at me and the answer was plain to see
'Cause I saw the light in your eyes
12. I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song - Jim Croce - ah, I really do have a weakness for sensitive 70s folk singers. Best lines:
Ev'ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I'll have to say I love you in a song
13. In My Life - The Beatles - I'm a little shocked that there's not a schmaltzy Paul McCartney song on my list. Ah well, I guess John Lennon had a few good songs in him ;-) Best lines:
Though I know I'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I'll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
14. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel - I'll have you know that I loved this song long before "Say Anything made it famous! Best lines:
in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
15. Is This Love - Bob Marley - I like this song more knowing that Bob Marley wrote it to his wife about the early days of their marriage. Best lines:
We'll be together, with a roof right over our heads
We'll share the shelter of my single bed
16. Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley - Buckley died too young, but he did manage to leave behind this utter masterpiece of music and lyrics. Best lines:
kiss me, please kiss me
but kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation
17. Look After You - The Fray - so yeah, I do listen to music made in the 21st century. This song is lots of fun live, when the whole audience sings along to the "Oh oh oh be my baby" part. Best lines:
It's always have and never hold
You've begun to feel like home
What's mine is yours to leave or take
What's mine is yours to make your own
18. Not Enough Time - INXS - a sexy beast of a song. To me, it's the adult version of "Melt With You". Best lines:
I was lost for words
In your arms
19. Overlap - Ani DiFranco - this too is obscure, but lyrically it's probably the coolest love song on my list. Really. Click and check it out. Best lines:
I build each one of my songs
out of glass
so you can see me inside of them
or you could just leave the image of me
in the background, I guess
and watch your own reflection superimposed
I build each one of my days out of hope
and I give that hope your name
and I don't know you that well
but it don't take much to tell
either you don't have the balls
or you don't feel the same
20. Secret Smile - Semisonic - some good friends of mine used this for their first dance at their wedding. It makes me smile to think of them. And hey, it's way more appropriate than "Closing Time". Best lines:
Nobody knows it but you've got a secret smile
And you use it only for me
21. Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash - because sometimes a great love song is really about a man's love of the sea (see also, "Brandy"). Best lines:
I have my ship, and all her flags are a-flying.
She is all that I have left, and music is her name.
22. Summertime - The Sundays: this one is more for the exuberant feel than for the lyrics. Best lines:
And it's you I need in the summertime
As I turn my white skin red
Two peas from the same pod yes we are
Or have I read too much fiction?
Is this how it happens?
23. Wait - Huffamoose - it's obscure, but it's also easily the sexiest song in my iPod. Best lines:
Move back just a little let me watch
your hips sway
hold me looser still throw me like I'm
and you a feast I devour
if you let me be the man of the hour
cause you are rhythm I'm a cold shower
24. Within Your Reach - The Replacements - usually, The Replacements just sang about getting drunk and stuff, so I don't know where they pulled this beautiful, longing song from. Best lines:
I could live without so much
I can die without a clue
Sun keeps risin' in the west
I keep on wakin' fully confused
25. Your Song - Ewan McGregor - I like this version from Moulin Rouge better than the Elton John original because it's more soaringly romantic and because Ewan McGregor is adorable. Best lines:
I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind
That I put down in words
How wonderful life is, now you're in the world
So, what did I miss? I did try to fit "The Bitch of Living" in, but it just would have been too much of a stretch.
Posted by at July 26, 2007 08:25 AM
The trackback entry for this page is : http://www.inthehat.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/1513
|# July 26th, 2007 1:32 PM james|
|if you can put in southern cross, then i think "what a wonderful world" could be in there too, on a similar rationale. |
|# July 26th, 2007 1:46 PM kris|
|Ah, but that's not in my iPod ;-) |
|# July 26th, 2007 9:24 PM themandownthehall|
|Ok, I'll embarrass myself. Since I'm lazy tonight, I'll only include lyrics with obscure ones. They are not in any order. Ok, they are in the order I saw them on my I-tunes library.
Shania Twain, Still the one
Queen, You're My Best Friend.
"oooh, you make me live. What ever this
world can't give to me, ooh you're all I see. Oooh you make me live now honey, oooh you make me live. You're the best friend that I ever had"
Belinda Carlisle, Came out of Nowhere.
"You came out of nowhere baby,
Just when I thought like giving up
Do you know where I've been searching
Everywhere, this side of reality, this side of eternity"
Amy Grant, That's What Love is For.
"sometimes I see you and you don't know I am there, And I'm washed away, by emotions I hold deep down inside, getting stronger with time"
Amy Grant, Like I Love You.
"ain't nobody gonna say goodbye,
ain't nobody gonna walk away,
this time baby I'm learning how to love you. Ain't nobody gonna make you cry, no ain't nobody every really tried to love you like I love you"
Bangles, Eternal Flame
Belinda Carlisle, World Without You
"if there was no sunshine, I could learn to live with the rain.
darling if I had to, I could trade pleasure for pain.
I could live without food or money, wouldn't be so hard to do
And if the stars fell down from the sky, baby I would make it through,
but in a world without you, where would I be? Where would I be without you? I could not breathe without you"
Belinda Carlisle, Half the World
"I reach a false and empty bed,
I hear you whisper in my ear,
like the sun without the moon,
it's half a dream without you here.
The train that takes you from be
brings somebody home,
half the world is waiting for someone they can hold, half the world is praying to never be alone. Everytime you leave, a part of me goes too, half your world is waiting here for you."
Cheap Trick, The Flame
Cindy Lauper, True Colors
(Phil Collins version sucks)
Debbie Gibson, One Hand One Heart
"all alone, I want to be all alone,
sharing my hope my home in your arms.
All alone, no people and no telephone,
Just you and I, one hand, one heart:
Donna Lewis, I Love You Always Forever
Elton John, Your Song
Jim Croce, I'll have to say I love you in a song
Enrique Iglesias, Hero
Journey, Open Arms
LeAnn Rimes, I Need You
Pat Benatar, We Belong
Peter Gabriel, In Your Eyes
Savage Garden, Truly Madly Deeply
"I want to stand with you on a mountain,
I want to bathe with you in the sea,
I want to lay like this forever,
until the sky falls down over me"
Taylor Dayne, I'll Always Love You
"I'll always love you, for the rest of my days, you have won my heart and my soul with your sweet sexy ways."
Celene Dion, My Heart Will Go On.
The Police, Everything She Does Is Magic
Savage Garden, I knew I loved you before I met you.
Sheena Easton, For your eyes only.
2 honorable mentions (smirk, giggle):
Bloodhound Gang, bad touch
"you and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the discovery channel"
come one now, that's warm and touching. As is:
Nine Inch Nails, Closer
"I want to .." well, I don't want to get banned, so I'll let you look it up. Warning, explicit. Very explicit.
Anyway, yes, I am an 80's child. No doubt about it and most of the above is either in my Itunes or on my Ipod.
Have a good night everyone.
|# July 26th, 2007 9:57 PM BVBigBro|
|A song Kris should add to her ipod:
Sunrise by The Who.
Alive and Kicking isn't on the ipod, huh?
|# July 26th, 2007 11:08 PM TheUnabrewer|
|"The End" by The Doors |
|# July 27th, 2007 8:15 AM cherlynda|
|I guess "The Bitch of Living" wouldnt be an appropriate love song.But the lyrics from Crash in to me that I like go something like.
I watch you through the window
you wear my shirt
all tied up and twisted
the way I'd like to be
|# July 27th, 2007 3:45 PM KVBigSis|
|"The Bitch of Living" now has a video! Cherylynda, you will love it:
|# July 28th, 2007 9:26 AM cherlynda|
|That was an AWESOME video. |
|# July 29th, 2007 5:26 AM Daddy|
|Led Zep, "Thank You"
If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you.
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me.
Kind woman, I give you my all,
Kind woman, nothing more.
Little drops of rain
whisper of the pain,
tears of loves lost in the days gone by.
My love is strong,
with you there is no wrong,
together we shall go until we die.
My, my, my.
An inspiration is what you are to me, inspiration, look... see.
And so today, my world it smiles,
your hand in mine, we walk the miles,
Thanks to you it will be done,
for you to me are the only one.
Happiness, no more be sad, happiness....I'm glad.
If the sun refused to shine,
I would still be loving you.
When mountains crumble to the sea,
there will still be you and me..